Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unremovable Malware! (not a newbie)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 rpmorrow

rpmorrow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with some nasty malware. I run Avira full version, malware bytes, they are currently not finding anything.

Avira was finding some (root kit) viruses but could not remove them, even with safe mode (XP Pro) or the avira boot disk. I ran a recent version of combofix and this seems to have gotten rid.

Before this i had problems like my firewall (windows) switching off, avira shutting down, lots of access through my router to my computers from unknown IP's. (I have some open ports forwarded to a Geovision camera server and an IP wecam)

Now malware bytes and avira detect nothing, but i know there is still some problem. links often get redirected via some .ru website or to other site that i definitely did not click.

Should I give you my combofix or hijack this log? ALso i'm wondering if posting them publicly is a further security risk since is contains so much data about my PC.

I posted my problem on the avira forum and they recommended reinstalling the OS. I already know that that is poor advice as reinstalling wont help me unless I format 1st. I hope I don't have to format the HDD and start again.

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Did Avira tell you why you need to reformat? Did they tell you what infection you had?

I ran a recent version of combofix

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason. Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion, try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

From: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159014

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

We need to run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 and 7 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rpmorrow

rpmorrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi,

Problem details can be found in this post..
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224445/unremovable-malware-not-a-newbie/

I tried running DDS.scr as suggested but my pc just opens it as a text file in notepad. How can I force it to be executed instead?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hello rpmorrow,

I have merged your latest topic to your previously existing topic so we could address your question. Since you were not able to get DDS to run, please try this:

Download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Please start a new topic and post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hello rpmorrow,

Ah, good. I see that you were successful in getting RSIT to run.

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224882/rsit-log-couldnt-run-dds/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users