Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Unknown Virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harley2

Harley2

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

How can I wipe my hard drive clean to get rid of all these viruses. I have had you help me before and
the suggestion was probably to wipe the hard drive clean. I am now prepared to do this. can you tell
me how? I am using a Compaq Presario and I need to know where to get the software to reinstall the
operation system. Thanks so much for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

You will need the original disk for the operating system that you have. Is it available?

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

I don't have the original disk but I have the serial numbers for the computer. I bought it at Best Buy.

#4 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

You should have had the option to create a recovery CD. If you did not, contact the manufacturer and see if theyhave an option available for you.

Information on recovery CD use:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...cname=c00034787

Veni Vidi Vici

#5 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

The manufacturer did not have any options for me as the computer is six years old and they don't have
any records or offer help after five years old. They referred me to the internet but I was still not able to
find the operation system. I will try Best Buy where I bought it today and see if they have. If they do not
do you have any other options for finding the Operating System? Thanks so much!

#6 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hey Harley2,
From this discussion I think you might need to get some realtime help with this. You will need an operating system disk to reinstall if you wipe the hard drive. You will also have to locate and load all the drivers that are neccesary for that particular platform (machine) to operate properly.
I am assuming that this machine was running XP, if you can find a XP install disk you can use that, and then attempt to activate the OS by calling Microsoft. Your best option would be just purchasing the OS disk, but this would leave you with Vista and if the machine is 6 years old there might be some performance issues.

So the first step is to find an operating system that you are going to use and go from there.

Veni Vidi Vici

#7 Harley2

Harley2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thanks so much for all your help!