Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard installed now I'm getting Found New Hardware messages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skeller

skeller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

My computer died on me awhile back so I sent it to a friend of a friend to "fix" and I was told that the motherboard was dead and needed replacing. So the motherboard was replaced with one identical to the one that was in there and supposedly it was started up to the point where they needed to log in and everything was ok.

I got the pc home and plugged everything back in and started it up, but it didn't boot up quite right. It was something I'd never seen before (not Safe mode). I think I had to press the ESC key to get it to continue. I apologize for not writing things down at the time. I did get it to start up and I was able to log in, but once I logged in I started to get Found New Hardware messages. The first one was for the RAID Controller. I had it search my machine but it didn't find whatever it was looking for. The next Found New Hardware message was for the Ethernet Controller, which it didn't find either.

I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point and I'd like to attempt something/anything myself before I send it back to the friend since it will be weeks before I'd get my machine back again. Any insight/info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, forgot to include that I'm running XP Professional edition, in case it matters.

Edited by skeller, 04 May 2009 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My initial thought...if you could not install the motherboard yourself, it's probably going to be tedious to try to overcome the current situation.

Your friend is the only one who knows the real story, I can only guess at what transpired.

It all may have to do with the hard drive.

When a hard drive is moved from Motherboard A to Motherboard B, there is a potential for trouble. There are settings and drivers which correspond to Board A which may not correspond to Board B.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Even though you say that the replaced board was "identica", the credibilty of that statement is questionable based on the fact that your friend also told you that the system was in good working order.

Did your friend give you a drivers CD for this replacement board?

Do you know the model of the motherboard and the manufacturer?

If a "name brand" system...what is the manufacturer and model for the system?

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

Much better would be to backup important data on your hard disk to DVD USB sticks USB drive etc. And then format your hard disk and re-install Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users