Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD in some games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KelThuzad0398

KelThuzad0398

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

I've recently been having trouble with two games, Mount & Blade and Warhammer Online. I have had Mount & Blade for a while, and WAR for one day. During my entire experience with Mount & blade, it crashes to the desktop a lot, saying that "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered." Recently, however, I have started getting BSODs with the game, saying that the nvlddmkm driver is still the problem. I don't have the exact specifics of the BSOD, but I'll put them up next time I get one. I also played Warhammer Online yesterday, and played for about 1 hour with one character. After making a new character and logging in, I immediately got a blue screen. I am worried that these are going to harm my computer.

My system specs are:
Intel core 2 duo 1.8 ghz
Nvidia graphics card 7300 LE
2 gb ram
Vista Home Premium

It's a pre-built xps 410, basically.

What's strange is that I am able to play Company of Heroes at medium graphics fine, but these two lower-end games have trouble.

I have not checked for temperature problems yet, but I don't know how I would check for that.

Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: Uh...
I came home and started Warhammer Online. Was looking at the characters when the entire thing went. The computer now boots up with blue vertical lines and doesn't fully boot up. It gets a BSOD once it tries to load up windows.

ANOTHER EDIT: I am now pretty sure the video card is gone. I am now looking for a new one. It's a standard XPS 410, so does anyone have any recommendations as to what video card I can get without having to replace anything else in the computer?

Edited by KelThuzad0398, 05 May 2009 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KelThuzad0398

KelThuzad0398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

The computer now boots up with vertical blue lines and then has a blue screen of death, saying that nvlddmkm is the reason. I'm going to assume this is the video card. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am now looking for a new card. The XPS 410 has a 375w power supply. Would a 9800 gt work with this? I hear some people say that dell's power supplies are underrated. I had a 7300 le before this.

Thanks.

Edited by KelThuzad0398, 05 May 2009 - 06:09 PM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

The nvlddmkm BSOD is usually due to bad drivers installed, or a dying graphics card. If the problem has been getting worse like you mentioned, I'd assume the graphics card is going bad.

Open your case up, and make sure the graphics card isn't clotted up with dust. Also make sure it isn't coming loose from the motherboard. Next, turn the computer on, and see if the fan on the graphics card is spinning.

Does the computer have integrated graphics you could use?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 KelThuzad0398

KelThuzad0398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

I do not believe it has integrated graphics. The computer will now get a blue screen of death after loading windows, and before it loads the desktop.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Did you try what I mentioned above with making sure the case is clean, and the fan is spinning?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 KelThuzad0398

KelThuzad0398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have started it up in safemode successfully, which is strange to me.

I will do what you stated above soon. Thank you for the help.

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

just to make sure its not the g card use different driver
or even reformat windows becasue i would want to make sure ITS THE graphics card before i buy a new $250 lol

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

You need a better video card.

The 7300 LE is a 64bit [not the memory] card.

If you are going to play games you need at least a 128 bit video card.

I am not talking about how much memory the card has but rather the memory bus width

You can have a 256MB , 64 bit , video card & games not work correctly.

You can have a 126MB , 128 bit, card & the same game play great.

You need to get a better video card with at least a 128 bit memory bus & preferably 256 bit.

You really have to pay attention to more then just price & how much memory a video card has.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 KelThuzad0398

KelThuzad0398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Would a 9800 gt work? It's within my price range. However, I want to make sure my computer could run it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users