Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore points have disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Laurence

Laurence

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

I've been using Vista since January & there were numerous restore points created both automatically and manually. This morning I was informed no restore points have yet been created. Since this clearly is false, perhaps they have been erased somehow. Anyone had a similar experience?

Secondly, last week 2 folders I regularly use disappeared. One was banking information - no account numbers, just chequing records, & the other miscellaneous files. Luckily I have a CD backup from January. I'm running AVG which seems to be working properly. Could I have inadvertently trashed these folders using CCleaner? (Seems unlikely to me.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Even commiseration would be acceptable. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tragedy

Tragedy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

Have you downloaded a Vista service pack lately? If so, that will erase every restore point prior to before you installed that service pack.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

I've been using Vista since January & there were numerous restore points created both automatically and manually. This morning I was informed no restore points have yet been created. Since this clearly is false, perhaps they have been erased somehow. Anyone had a similar experience?

Secondly, last week 2 folders I regularly use disappeared. One was banking information - no account numbers, just chequing records, & the other miscellaneous files. Luckily I have a CD backup from January. I'm running AVG which seems to be working properly. Could I have inadvertently trashed these folders using CCleaner? (Seems unlikely to me.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Even commiseration would be acceptable. Thanks.

Have you been infected recently? Scanned with AVG recently with updated definitions? Do you scan with malwarebytes antimalware? Superantispyware? Because you indicate you're missing banking information folders, I'd suggest you rule-in or rule-out any infection. You can post in the Am I Infected forum, either running MBAM and/or SAS, if you feel comfortable doing that or if not - post in the Am I infected? What do I do?forum and work with a malware expert to see if your computer is infected. Here's the link to that forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=103

Edited by tork, 04 May 2009 - 01:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users