Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista VHD file question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Texasruan

Texasruan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hey guys. I had a HP notebook (bought 2007) with Vista on. Recently I made a Windows backup (VHD) file on an external drive and also backups of my most important folders. My notebook was stolen from my vehicle (you never think it will happen to you :huh: ) and I didnít lose too much info luckily. There were however some folders that I did not specifically back up, and I believe this data is contained in some way in the VHD back up file, size is about 50 Gig.
I have new HP machine now, also running Vista, with a 250 Gig hard drive. I understand that the image backup can be used to format and restore a drive to make it look exactly like it was before. I do not want to do that however with the system disk on my new machine because I would like to keep the new, virgin Vista installation that I got on my new machine.
Is there any easy way to extract the data to get access to those folders that I forgot to back up? Is it perhaps possible to extract just the data to a folder on my new machine???
Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users