Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why no XP/Vista disc with new computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lilac

lilac

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

I expect I am stupid, :thumbsup: but I simply don't understand why, when you purchase a brand new computer, perfectly legitimately, with a Windows OS already installed, you don't get a disc, so that if at some stage you have to wipe your hard drive, you are able to reinstall your original Windows OS.

If anyone would like to spare the time to enlighten me, I would be most grateful. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

That's something you need to ask your vendor or system manufacturer.

Some of us do get Microsoft XP install CDs with our purchases...some vendors provide such, some don't.

Louis

#3 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Depending on the manufacturer there may be a restore partition on your computer that is designed to restore back to factory if you have any problems.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

This has irked me on more than one occasion. Theoretically, you ought to be able to contact the manufacturer and ask for a CD for free. Theoretically.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Why do you buy a system that comes with no OS cd?
You need to ask first before you make the purchase.

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Assuming they are all the same, (Dell, Gateway-whatever) you should ask and even pay a nominal fee but have a restore cd.
Sometimes the HD fails, and you cant restore from the "partition".

#7 lilac

lilac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Thank you for all the comments...I haven't been around for a while, but was pleased to find some replies to my query.
My first computer was from Tiny, and I was a complete newby, having no idea about discs, but then I purchased another from Curry's (Compaq)...no OS disc, and then I got my laptop (Toshiba) from PC World...again no OS disc.
As you say, I should have asked the right questions before my purchases. But, you live and learn :thumbsup:
The penny drops eventually!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users