Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes up for 2 min period, then OK, then refreezes!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DALE HEATH

DALE HEATH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

During recent weeks, a very frustrating problem occurs every day after my computer has been On for a few hours.
All of sudden my cursor won't move, printer stops printing, keyboard won't type, and/or a video freezes. Nothing works. Then, after 2 or 3 min, everything is fine for a couple min, then everything freezes up for a couple min, then OK, then Freezes again.
This goes on 'til I reboot my system. Then everything is OK for a couple hours til Freezing starts up again.

I have tried a "clean boot" several times using the 'msconfig', System Configuration Utility, using the Selective Startup and only the "load system services" turned on. I used to think this solved the problem. But the Freezing always would come back after a couple hours. I now think, just a simple shut down and restart works just as well.

I shouldn't admit this, but my problems are only my old 1999 Gateway computer. You will probably say, "Throw away that Old thing!" But, my Old computer is still my favorite with several programs that could NOT be transferred onto my New computer. Does anyone have some ideas to solve my Frequent Freezing problems on my Oldie???

Dale Heath, Thanks for any help.

1999 Gateway:
WinXP-Home ed, SP3,
Pentium III, 500 Mhz; 256 MB RAM, 19 GB hard drive.

I also have a 2006 Gateway:
WinXP-Professional, Media Center edition, SP3,
Pentium 4, 3000 Mhz; 1024 MB RAM, 250 GB hard drive.

//Mod Edit: Personal information removed to protect.

Edited by KoanYorel, 04 May 2009 - 02:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

Hi Dale and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

I am sorry that I cannot help you with your computer, I really have no clue what might be causing that problem but I am sure someone will be along before too long who can help you with that. I just had to jump in and say, please, for right now just remove your phone number from your post.

To do that, just click on the button that says "Edit" right below your post, select one of the options for editing and then just delete that number.

Edited by Stang777, 04 May 2009 - 01:01 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

Various freezes are related to improper ventilation of the system, fan failures, overheating, etc.

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users