Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have an infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 LeeBee

LeeBee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

I am a "newbie" here; so, take it easy please! A few weeks ago I started to be plagued with a couple of Dynamic Link Library error messages on certain websites that I frequently visit; mainly, out of town newspaper sites. One referred to "urlmon.dll" and the other referred to "mshtml.dll." These error messages stated that Internet Explorer (currently IE8) needed to be shut down which was done. I use a Dell Dimension 8400 and still have XP Home Edition as my OS. Since I still have a paid basic coverage plan with Dell, I went to them first with this problem. All I got with that department of Dell was that there was nothing wrong with the hardware on my system and it was suggested that I go to their Software Errors Dept. This I did and after agreeing to a WHOPPING FEE to work on the problem (after a considerable amount of time), I finally got to the point that they said that they had found a virus (unnamed by Dell when asked which one) which they claimed was removed and said that I had to reformat. Well, to say the least, this isn't the first time I have reformated and reluctantly, I did so thinking that my problem with dll's was over. No such luck! A couple of days later the same darn dll error messages started to reappear. I currently use Norton's 360 and back up my files through their online backup service. After reinstalling my backed up files, these pesky dll messages started to reappear. What I am wondering is "did the virus (if I have one) get backed up with my files and if so, I must have put it back in to my PC's OS?" After looking at the attached configuration of my PC, hopefully one of you will be able to come up with an idea as to what's going on and how to correct it. Of course, if it's not a virus, I will be going back to Dell to ask for a refund.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LeeBee

LeeBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

For any prospective repliers to my posting, I think that I can save you the trouble! I finally came up with the idea that my problem(s) seemed to have started shortly after installing Microsoft's fairly new IE8. Just on a hunch, I deleted IE8 and reverted back to IE7. VOILA, problem solved or at least I haven't gotten any more of those pesky notices that "an error has occurred and Internet Explorer must now close" when I was using IE8. I guess now I can consider that "this case is CLOSED!"

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thank you for letting us know. This topic shall now be closed. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users