Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nuni71

nuni71

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

I have a linksys wireless router. Two computers are conecting to the internet with tne same router, one conected directly with an ethernet cable, te other is wireless. How do I create a home network, so i can use the printer conected desktop(wired computer) from my laptop(wireles)?
Also to share files.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:29 AM

Did you assign IP addresses to each of the machines or is the router acting as a DHCP server and allocating addresses automatically? If the latter, you should just have to make sure 'File and Printer Sharing' is turned on, check they belong to the same workgroup, then share the printer and share the folders required.

For a more detailed explanation you will have to provide some info about your two PCs.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

To add to what Rimmer said (and it really would be better if we knew what OSes you were running on the desktop and laptop)...

Start with the printer. In a nutshell, go to the icon in the Printers folder on the desktop machine and right-click on it. In the menu one of the options should be for Sharing, click on that. From there a wizard should walk you through the rest and enable file and print sharing if it isn't already.

Be sure the desktop is left on and go to the laptop and see that you can see the desktop pc in your Network Neighborhood (My Network Places) under View Workgroup Computers. Double-click on the name of the desktop if you see it and the printer should be there. You will be able to right-click and Connect to it.

Sharing folders is pretty similar. Right-click and Share the folder(s) desired.

Since you have wireless in play you ought to make sure that you have some security on your router connection before you share your computer's resources. WEP, WPA.

#4 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

if have an add on question to ask on this..i run a wireless network w/ 2 desktops. i have the printer sharing w/ no problems, and i have certain folders setup to be "shared", but when i try to open those folders on my wife's computer i get an "access denied" type message, any thoughts on this??
maj.stiffy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users