Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to retrieve data from a crashed hard disk?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 strangerinmirror00

strangerinmirror00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Last time I went to local vendor, I was told that, my computer wasn't detecting my hard disk. I asked them to check the hard disk with other computers. But it still wasn't working. I was told my hard disk has crashed and eventually I had to replace with a new one.

But, I would like to know if I can retrieve data from my hard disk. Can I get the data which were not where my operating system was installed(like data in D, E and F drive etc), like ? I have a working PC with me now?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

You could slave it into another PC and you might be able to access it via a Linux Live CD, but thats the only way I can think off of the top of my head.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 deoge

deoge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

FIRST RULE, NEVER TAKE THE PLATTER / HEAD ASM COVER OFF, DON'T WHACK THE DRIVE, IF THIS HAS HAPPENED, ALL YOUR DATA IS ALREADY IN “BIT HEAVEN”

Start on the outside and work in, did a jumper fall off? Did you sub another IDE cable? Had you been getting I/O errors? Was the system getting slooowwer and sllooowweerr? Did you ever get a warning stating “bad blocks or sectors” during scan disk?

Many things can make a drive unrecognizable to the BIOS post ( power on self test )
with old technology drives one of the biggies was the head asm physically sticking to the platters landing zone, if this is the case you wont hear the drive spool up. Have the power and IDE cables hooked up but leave the drive outside of the box. The idea is to power up and give the drive a swift
CCW and CW rotation, don't whack it the rotation is the key, the inertia of the platters will usually free the platters from “head stiction”.

If you can hear it spool up, look at the IDE board on the drive, did some putz a mounting screw in that was too long and injure any traces on the board? If so some careful kludge wire and an exercise in patience can recover your data.

Keep me posted, theres lots of avenues for data recovery but try these first, be sure to have a disk copy utility on hand such as ghost or acronis disk director, I believe G-part has a copy utility in it.
Once that puppy will talk get everything off of it to another HD, sorry but I have to go to work in the morning, which is in four hours, I'll check the posts tonight when I get home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users