Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install applications on my PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy5823

fantasy5823

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hope somebody can advice me on this problem. My reformat my other PC. When I installed my windows XP sp2, it worked just fine. But when I continued and tried to install my Motherboard CD, my DVD ROM was not able to read it. So I replaced my DVD Rom with a new one, but the problem is still there. I tried to replace the Installer CD with another one but still the DVD Rom cannot read it. When I tried it on my other computer, It was able to read the CD. What seems to be the problem? I'm using Intel motherboard with MSI chipset.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fantasy5823

fantasy5823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

addendum to my post: I tried to install another application like my Video card installer, and it was able to read it. but when I click it to start the application, "E:/ IS NOT A VALID WINDOWS APPLICATION" appeared on the screen.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

I suggest doing two things:

a. Run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive you are trying to install on.

b. If it passes the diagnostic, delete everything and start the install anew.

FWIW: Ensure that any CD used is clean, free of smudges, etc.

Louis

#4 fantasy5823

fantasy5823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

tnx for the advice. When I failed to install applications on the HD, I removed it and transfered to it another computer. I was then able to install the applications with no problem. I am really puzzled because the computer I transfered the HD is the same model as the computer that failed to install the applications. I also examined the BIOS of both PCs and they are exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users