Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About install XP Home on new Hard Drive...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

So I have a brand new hard drive and looking through this online guide and Im pretty sure I can do it (first time) but it says I need a "Qualifying" disc, any previous Windows software like 2000 or ME. Anyway I dont have any, only my XP disc that my computer came with.

So am I gonna be able to install it or am I out of luck here? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

A qualifying disk is required...only when the user is using an upgrade version of XP for an install. One of the qualifications to use that particular version of XP is that the user already owns a "qualifying version" of Windows.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_upgrade_paths.htm

If you received a copy of XP with your system purchase...it it unlikely to be an upgrade version of XP.

But it can be a restore/recovery CD, which is not necessarily akin to Microsoft XP install CD and plays by the rules of the system manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

A qualifying disk is required...only when the user is using an upgrade version of XP for an install. One of the qualifications to use that particular version of XP is that the user already owns a "qualifying version" of Windows.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_upgrade_paths.htm

If you received a copy of XP with your system purchase...it it unlikely to be an upgrade version of XP.

But it can be a restore/recovery CD, which is not necessarily akin to Microsoft XP install CD and plays by the rules of the system manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Its a Gateway laptop model MX6428.

Well my sister has an XP disc, its a bit older than mine,would that work?

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

You said you have an XP disk that your computer came with, what is that?

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

You said you have an XP disk that your computer came with, what is that?

Windows XP Media Center Edition '05 (XP Home) , ya know the usual OS disc if you wannna install or re-install windows.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

But is it a full version or an upgrade version?

#7 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

But is it a full version or an upgrade version?

I dont know. I dont think its an Upgrade version. Its just the OS that was installed on my original hard drive when I bought the computer. It says "For Distribution Only with a new Gateway PC"

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

There isn't any reason that I can see that you should not be able to use that disk (especially if you are putting it back on the gateway it came with) as it should be a full version. You are installing a new operating system on a hard drive, not upgrading, so all you need is a copy of the full version of XP and the license code. Like Louis said, it is unlikely that disk is an upgrade since it came with your computer. You said it is for installing or reinstalling windows and that is what you are doing, so use it. Since you are putting it on a drive for the computer it came with, there should not be any problems.

If it does not work, then come back and we will try to figure out something else for you to try.

Edited by Stang777, 03 May 2009 - 10:45 PM.

#9 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

There isn't any reason that I can see that you should not be able to use that disk (especially if you are putting it back on the gateway it came with) as it should be a full version. You are installing a new operating system on a hard drive, not upgrading, so all you need is a copy of the full version of XP and the license code. Like Louis said, it is unlikely that disk is an upgrade since it came with your computer. You said it is for installing or reinstalling windows and that is what you are doing, so use it. Since you are putting it on a drive for the computer it came with, there should not be any problems.

If it does not work, then come back and we will try to figure out something else for you to try.

Oh so, I shouldnt need any qualifying discs afterall? I have my licence code, its just in all the guides Iv read, even the offical one off MS.com, it says you need a qualifying disc whenever you're installing xp on a new blank hard drive.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

In this case, your qualifying disk is that one.

The articles that say you need any other version of Windows installed before installing XP must be for when the XP disk you are using is an upgrade version.

Edited by Stang777, 03 May 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#11 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

In this case, your qualifying disk is that one.

The articles that say you need any other version of Windows installed before installing XP must be for when the XP disk you are using is an upgrade version.

Oh ok, I guess I'll give it a try then. Thanks

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

You are very welcome, good luck. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users