Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Suddenly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 funkapotam0s

funkapotam0s

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi all,
I was here about a year ago and you all sorted me out so I hope the same can happen again!
I'm running a dell laptop with XP sp2, pentium 1.6 ghz processor, with 1 gig of RAM.
I've had a 300 gig Cool Max Backup Storage external HD for over two years now. I woke up the other morning and it was just making a constant blip noise, and one of the LEDs (with a lightbulb next to it) was blinking red. My computer wasn't recognizing it as a drive in My Computer or though Device Manager.
So I mourned the death of all my academic and creative work..
I randomly just tried turning it on, and it started to work. Autoplay popped up and I could access the drive. I was playing music off of it, and suddenly the song stopped. Then the blipping started again for about 15 seconds. It stopped and went back to normal. Then after another 5 minutes it started messing up and was not being recognized again.
The website / support for the product is awful and I bought it on eBay brand new, so I don't know of any professionals I can consult.
I did some research on the web for similar problems and some people said that the HD might not be getting enough power, but I don't see how after two years suddenly my laptop wasn't powerful enough..
Is there anything I can do? Thanks much in advance
-Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

It seems you're using a USB-powered drive, so did you try simply plugging it into another port or computer? I have no experience with external HDDs, so I don't really know what to do to fix it. If switching ports doesn't work, I'd recommend not using the drive until you can get another one. You'll have a better chance of recovering your data.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

An external hard drive is a combination of components: hard drive, power supply for enclosure, enclosure.

Have you tried removing the drive itself from the enclosure...and attaching it directly to the motherboard of a desktop as a secondary drive? That might help refine the problem.

Louis

#4 funkapotam0s

funkapotam0s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

I haven't tried that Louis. Actually the drive has been working constantly for about 2 days now. At first it was a bit glitchy like before, but now it has been working flawlessly (playing video, music, transferring files etc) so I moved everything that's important and hopefully it was just a fluke!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users