Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major problem getting OUT of safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Murphy8276

Murphy8276

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

ok I will start from the beginning..hopefully someone can help me.

I recently had a new motherboard installed by professinals at ztronics (website) . You mail in your alienware and they fix the problem because they specialize in them... I have the alienware area51 7700 with the common motherboard failure and mine recently had burnt out.

I got installed a version 5.3 from the company and am under the impression its refurbished or rebulity or in working order (that is policy on there site..etc) which is fine.

They mail the laptop back to u and all the service they perform on it cost 98$ with shipping included so overall not bad idea.

Ok here is the issue. -

I went to boot up comp....it seemed very slow ..jus figured maybe when a new mobi is in then the first boot its slower and left comp alone for a few days. Went to use it last nite and started getting major popups..flashes..etc showing me 100s of spyware/malware/trojans..virus..THE WORKS...and i have always kept a clean computer with actively using system restore and always having very solid virus protection and removing all spyware two-three times a week so I knew this had something to do with something very recent...My guess was the new mobi..or a website i had visited (however i had'nt gone to any site i hadnt been to a million times before and I have a LOT of viruses/trojans/malware right now..like a TON.

anyway so i tried to run spybot and adaware to delete some of these..then i was gonna follow it up with my virus remover and scanner. Well spybot got half way through and windows crashed...it said overload of system..etc etc..and auto restarted...i tried again and same thing happend so i decided to this 3rd time after start up i went through msconfig and changed it to boot to safe mode with the check box (a mistake im regretting now by not jus doing it the f8 way.cuz i cant get out of safe mode...explanation follows:

I deleted about 50 malware/trojans/spyware with spybot search and destroy under safe mode. Then I ran adaware and had 15 cookies (nothing) and 4 more major issues to take care of with registry keys...I decided to choose remove option (now im smacking myself for not doing jus what they recommend) because i wanted a virus nowhere near my computer....Well I think what then happend was i removed a registry key i shouldn't have :thumbsup: . it asked me to reboot to save all changes and take affect....i hadnt ran my virus remover yet so i wanted to stay in safe mode..so i jus did an immediate restart now when the prompt came up.

My computer rebooted as normal but into safe mode again. and it comes to a welcome log on screen (normal safe mode procedure for my computer)... I click my owner (username) and have tried administrator as well..and it tries to log in then shows a black screen (the safe boot loader screen(background)) for about 2 secs then it flashes back to log in screen and has my username saving changes and logging out...i try again and again and no avail :flowers: )......I need to get this computer OUT OF SAFE MODE...to see if i can boot normally and undo the registry change with a fixer program..or going back to yesterday (with system restore) before i ran adaware and spybot (which yes then puts trojans..etc back on but i can redo that afterword the correct (reccomended way)

Please help me in how to get OUT OF SAFE MODE when the msconfig command box is checked to auto boot safe mode..and yes I have already tried 2 other things..I pressed F8 and chose boot normal (doesnt work..boots right to safemode ...(also i tried last good config and almost all the other options)...I also put in the windows restore disk...nervously and mad bout it of course. but i know u can choose R for repair as an option instead of fully restore which is what i planned...but before u get the screen it ask if u want to start windows setup...(the instruction are to hit enter then it will ask if FULL or R (repair) )...as soon as I hit ENTER ..my computer gets the blue screen about windows has crashed :trumpet:....

Someone please help.

Sorry such a long story..BUT atleast its detailed and u know everything I have tried and also did wrong (which im kicking myself over)

Thanks in advance...

-murph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi, it seems that since you cannot boot into safe mode to undo the msconfig setting that what is described in the section of a Bleeping Computer tutorial that I have pasted below is what happened to you. I do not how to get you around that blue screen that is coming up when you insert the Windows disk but in case you can ever past that, the bolded section of the below text is what you need to do.

I cannot tell for sure from your post how the box in msconfig got checked to boot into safe mode, did you check it?

Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility

It is possible to make your computer continuously boot up into safe mode using the System Configuration utility as described above. The program does this by changing your boot.ini file, the settings file that configures your computer's boot sequence, and adding the /safeboot argument to your operating systems startup line. An example of this can be seen below.

Original [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
After using MsConfig.exe [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /safeboot:minimal

When you are done using safe mode, you would then run the System Configuration utility again and uncheck the /Safeboot option, thus removing the /safeboot argument from the boot.ini file, and allowing your computer to boot up normally.

On a computer that is operating properly this is normally not a problem. Unfortunately, though, a new trick that some of the more recent malware are using is to delete certain Windows Registry keys so that your computer can not properly boot into safe mode. It is in these situations that using the System Configuration utility to boot into safe mode can cause the computer to become inoperable for many users.

This is because once you set the computer to boot into Safe Mode using /Safeboot, it will continuously attempt to start Safe Mode until the /safeboot argument is removed from the boot.ini. Since the malware is not allowing us to actually boot into safe mode, you have no way of getting to a point where you can run the System Configuration utility again to uncheck the /Safeboot option. Thus, you are stuck with a computer constantly attempting to get into safe mode and not being able to do so.

If a situation like this has happened to you it is possible to fix this problem by renaming your boot.ini file. The first step would be to use a boot disk to start your computer. If your computer does not have a floppy disk, then you can typically boot off the Windows CD that came with your computer in order to access the Windows Recovery Console. More information about the Windows Recovery Console can be found here. Once booted to a command prompt, you would simply rename your C:\Boot.ini file to another name like C:\Boot.ini.bak. The command to rename the file at the command prompt is:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

Once the file is renamed, you can then remove the boot disk and reboot your computer to get back to normal mode. When booting up after the rename, do not be surprised if you see an error stating that you do not have a valid Boot.ini file. When you get back to normal Windows mode, you can then rename C:\Boot.ini.bak to C:\Boot.ini and run Msconfig again to remove the /safeboot flag.

Edited by Stang777, 03 May 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#3 Murphy8276

Murphy8276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:11 AM

I tried every suggestion here and on other forums..I even downloaded and installed with floppy disk boot loaders and other things to try to jump start the system into giving me a darn command prompt atleast....No avail :/

I had to put in the Alien RESPAWN disk and luckily got back windows fine but lost documents..etc although I atleast didn't have to install any crazy bios or device changes/driver updates etc for my new motherboard installation.

Thanks all for the ideas.

-murph

Edited by Murphy8276, 07 May 2009 - 01:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users