Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Death of Public Broadcasting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Ok, i'm going to pull a little at the heartstrings of some who can remember.

I recall the day that Mr. Rogers died. When I was a kid, I called him neighbor.
I was taught to count, by the Count.
Big Bird, and Mr. Hooper gave me some insight on kindness. When Mr. Hooper died, Big Bird helped us cope with death.
Ernie, Bert, Grover, Kermit, even Oscar the Grouch taught me things...
A few years ago, I saw Gordon on tour in the Mall I used to work security in. I got to shake his hand and told him I watched him when I was a kid, he smiled...

I got older, and watched the Electric Company, 3,2,1 Contact, and even Nova.

I was introduced to Monty Python, Benny Hill (though that may be a bad thing), hell, I even watched Masterpiece Theater.

I read today, and heard in Air America Radio that our great government is pulling 100 million from PBS and NPR, and will be rid of it in two years. I'm not an advocate of TV, but what will happen when PUBLIC Broadcasting is lost?

I guess we can count dead soldiers and gallons of oil.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

Hey thats no fair they can't do that :thumbsup: I still love PBS and I still watch Big Bird, and Ernie, and Elmo, and Oscar the Grouch. Keep PBS.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

:thumbsup: That has wrong written all over it! :flowers:

I'd say more, but I am at a loss for words. :trumpet:
Posted Image

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

What!!!?? There pulling PBS!!???

That is so sad! We cant let this happen!

#5 timothy

timothy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:15 PM

Thanks to your efforts,
most of the PBS funding was restored!
CLICK HERE for the full Washington Post article

But the Danger to PBS Is not Over!

A senior FCC official [...] went further, saying CPB [Corporation for Public Broadcasting] "is engaged in a systematic effort not just to sanitize the truth, but to impose a right-wing agenda on PBS. It's almost like a right-wing coup. It appears to be orchestrated."CLICK HERE for the full Washington Post article

CLICK HERE to see how you can help STOP THIS!

The only way to insure your right's is to stand up for them.

The choice is up to you.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Quite frankly, the PBS TV stations in my area run about as many commercials as to other, regular stations; I fail to see why these "ads" cannot be used to fully support their efforts. This would also have the effect of taking PBS out of the politician's- - -both parties have accused PBS of bias- - - agendas with threats to withhold funds. If one wants PBS to be independent, the solution is certainly not by making it depend on whichever policital party is in power at the moment.
Regards,

John

Edited by jgweed, 26 June 2005 - 02:34 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Exspider

Exspider

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

Our government should in no way be in the business of providing news for us. We get enough BS from the rest of the MSM. As to the political bias, well, I’m a “news junky” and listen to all of it, even if it is akin to self inflicted torture. NPR is at best an imitation of the rest of the CBS, CNN, NYT hate America crowd. It’s disgusting and is not where I would put my money if I had a choice. We already have a Big Bird!
Posted Image
Your friends and the numbers all add up, we're just here to count them.......
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:35 AM

I can't believe this. I didn't even know the government paid for this, I always thought it was payed for "by viewers like you."

I'm just stunned. I don't think the government should do this, I mean I even learned from those shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users