Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer User Screen Gone Black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dunn Dunn

Dunn Dunn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

I was deleting some shortcuts on my desk top and when I clicked to check on a folder (which I think it was Norton PC Checkup) it started to do a virus scan or something to check errors, and then my Menu on the bottom disappeared then the START botton on the screen was gone. Then the screen went completely black and the only thing that was open was the screen that was scanning, I closed it and I wasn't able to do anything else because it was black. I tried bringing up the START menu from the keyboard but I wasn't able to. All i'm able to do is press on the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and that screen will come up but nothing on the user i'm having the problem on.

This was on the administrative user account, the other account which it's a guest is just fine.

Would anyone know how will I be able to fix this?

Edited by Dunn Dunn, 03 May 2009 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

If you can get the task manager open, go to File > New Task (Run...), then type explorer.exe, and see if your desktop comes back.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Dunn Dunn

Dunn Dunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

If you can get the task manager open, go to File > New Task (Run...), then type explorer.exe, and see if your desktop comes back.

Thanks! I was able to do it and my desktop came back. Appreiate it.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

No problem, I'm glad I could help. :thumbsup:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users