Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't see the boot up screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hi,
I just got a new computer so i hooked my old one to my tv to watch movies and play games. It works fine for that, but when i turn the computer on i don't see the boot up screen. I guess it's not that big of a deal if the computer is working right, but i'm screwed if i want to boot into safe mode, or there is a problem before it gets to the windows screen. Is there anything that you can think of that might help me with this?

i also get a sw20.exe error as soon as the computer boots up, which is an error with a display driver as far as i know? could this be part of the problem, and how do i go about fixing that?

Edited by dempseyjosh, 03 May 2009 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

sw20.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sw20.exe-14629.html
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODAwLDI=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

ok, but could that be the problem about seeing the boot up menu?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

Is the TV turned on before you turn on the computer?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

yes it is, and it is already ont he correct input. the tv is a sharp 47" SO804171

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

I asked our resident video expert. He was on his way to work at the moment, but he offered this:

At first glance, it reads as if the video card regards the TV as being on the secondary port, so it's still sending the POST screen report to the other port which he originally had his monitor on, then Windows is set to use whichever the TV is connected to. BIOS setting for primary video maybe?

Mark
Posted Image

#7 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

This is a desk top, and that is the only out put i have used. I see the boot up screen on my westinghouse monitor

#8 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

i updated the driver and then i couldn't see anything on my tv, but the sw2o problem did go away. i went ahead and went back to the old driver for the video card, but the sw20 problem is back. How do i go about disabling that program on start up? the link didn't provide information on how to do that.

thanks
josh

#9 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

and the tv model number is actually LC-46sb54u

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

How do i go about disabling that program on start up?

Recommended - Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
More user friendly - Codestuff Starter
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Are you still trying to resolve this issue josh? Or does:

i updated the driver and then i couldn't see anything on my tv... I went ahead and went back to the old driver for the video card

mean the old driver changed things? The driver shouldn't make any difference to seeing the boot screen.

If you're still having that problem, what signal connection are you using for the TV? The specification for that Sharp model doesn't list VGA.

Edited by Platypus, 12 May 2009 - 08:08 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users