Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Office

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Re: Compaq Presario 5301 Windows 98 SE Operaing system. I want to add Windows Office Student Teacher Editon 2003. My computer has 128 megabytes of RAM max and I am told, by others, that I should upgrade my system to windows XP and then I should be able to add Office. So, the question I have is; Can I upgrade my current system Windows 98 SE to Windows XP just by merely obtaining the CD or do I have to add RAM first and if I do, is that something I do by adding a card? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Maximum memory is only 512 in 2 slots
Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 256MB per slot. at a cost of $70
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...0Model%205310US
That's not a whole lot for XP, even though MS claims it will work
I would definitely add the RAM before attempting to upgrade
Personally I wouldn't bother

Have you thought about Open Office? It's free and version 2.4 is compatible with W98
http://download.openoffice.org/2.4.2/index.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users