wow what a trouble i've been having. Got a pretty nasty bug which is preventing me from doing much on my laptop. I first noticed it when i was browsing the web, google seemed different, no sponsered links etc. When i clicked a link it'd open a new tab and take me to some random website, often another search engine or a myspace page. I downloaded a few virus-removal programs (norton, avg) and they seemed to do nothing. Then the problem worsened; i couldn't even open an internet browser, such as firefox or inet explorer - but then i ran a norton antivirus which afterwards allowed me to open up the browsers, but they wouldn't load any pages. So i can't get access to the web from my laptop, im having to use a friends to post here. Also, any flash drive or external hard drive i connect to the laptop appears as a removable drive and i cannot get access to it. The message which comes up is
"E:/ is not accessible. The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded."
I've tried being clever using a PSP and similar things, but the same error occurs. So with no internet and no flash drive its made it very hard to get info off of my laptop and onto my friends so i can post a log. My laptop does not have a cd burner and im on holiday in the states so do not have access to an external one. The way i got round the problem was to take screen shots of the log, save them as jpegs, put them on my iPod (as this still worked when connected) and email them to this laptop from there. This unfortunately means i can only post the log as a series of pictures - sorry i realise this must be annoying!!
My desktop background has been replaced by a flashing "Warning dangerous spyware" etc... which i cannot change. I got Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my laptop by downloading it on my friends laptop, burning to a cd, and opening on my laptop. However, after installation the program won't run. I click on the icon and nothing happens. I've tried renaming the .exe file and running in safe mode, but no luck. Also, i downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware but when i run that i het a microsoft problem: "Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
I've also ran stinger and cc-cleaner which seem to have done very little.
I'm running XP home edition SP2.
I know this site requests a DSS log, but it'll take me so long to do so hopefully this will suffice for now....