Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed IE8 from IE7..wouldn't open..tried uninstall..now nothing works

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 itsmylife

itsmylife

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

After a successful IE8 installation on my laptop (from IE7), I did the same thing to my desktop. Desktop is running Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Antivirus is Trend Micro Internet Security and is up to date. This is a wired connection through a router with DSL.

Once IE8 went through all the steps for install, the computer was restarted. I double clicked on the Internet Explorer icon, and all it does is open a blank window (no error messages or anything...just blank). The window itself has the little 'e' in the top left corner, it has the minimize/maximize/close buttons on the top right corner, under that it has the round back and forward arrows on the left, followed by a blank address bar, the refresh button & the stop button. Below that is just a big, empty white space.

I've tried leaving it on for a half hour to see if something would eventually load.. but it stays like this. I've tried opening it by clicking Start > Programs > Internet Explorer.

I have Google Earth installed, and in that program there is an option to look things up online, and it opens an area below the map to do web searches. I went into that... was able to search the internet, so I know my connection is fine. I went to the Microsoft page to try to reinstall IE7, but it won't download. I click the download button, but then nothing happens. I went to another site to try to download a game, and I could not download from there either. So, I can search the internet through Google Earth, but I can't download anything.

I tried to uninstall IE8, I've tried doing a system restore, I've run my Anti-Virus, and my Dell PC Tune-up program, and the problem is still here. I don't know what else to do - the computer was running fine before I tried to install IE8. I could just kick myself for doing it.

PLEASE please please help!

Thank you!
Denise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

See this thread: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1