Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two csrss applications/ Is one of them unsafe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dawna1

Dawna1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Hi,
I have two instances of an application called csrss on my computer. One of them is in System32.
The other is in: C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoftwindows-csrss-31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.180...

The second one above was created on January 20, 2008, which is months after my computer was purchased. I don't know if it could be an update (?).

I am worried one of them might be a Trojan. I looked online and on Bleeping Computers for information about csrss.exe and know that it is a necessary process, but I can't figure out why I have two csrss applications.

I am running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.

I hope you can help me, and any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawna1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hello Dawna1.

It is normal to find copies of Windows files stored on the computer. They are there for backups.

You can check if the copy in winsxs is legit by uploading it to VirusTotal to be scanned.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Dawna1

Dawna1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thank you so much for your help. You provided a really good tool to check files. I checked out the files I was concerned about with VirusTotal and they seem to be OK.

Dawna1

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

Glad we could help.

The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users