Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD software incompatibility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 batania

batania

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Dear Bleeping computers

I have just trid to install Picture Motion Browser from a CD that came with my Sony camcorder. It was all going well until it came to restarting the computer, at which point an "end program now" box came up. I pressed cancel, hoping to sort it out before it restarted, but it restarted immediately and then a BSOD appeared saying:

A problem has ben detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error mesage screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

CHeck to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop essage, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8932F2C0, 0xA5644BE8, 0xA56448E4)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical dump complete.
Contct your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

From a bit of research it seems that Picture Motion Browser is incompatible with Roxio, which was already on the computer.

By going in to safe mode I have uninstalled Picture Motion Browser, but this has made no difference.

I have also tried restoring the system to how it was a few days ago, but it could not complete it. Are there any fixes which do not involve backing up all of our saved data then re-instlling windows (and then updating everything). I am pretty loathed to do this!

Also, what is it that is incompatible? Maybe if I had an idea of that then I may be able to pinpoint a fix?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

batania

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Following article is from microsoft knowledge base describing this type of stop error...Could be a third party driver issue...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 batania

batania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Dear Old Grumpy Bastard

Thanks for your advice. I've had a look at this and it may be relevent.

There is definitely enough disk space and I very much doubt that it is the BIOS that needs updating because both the camera and computer are new(ish). That leaves driver problems, and there we are moving into an area that I am less familiar with.

When I uninstalled the Picture Motion Browser maybe it left something behind, which is causing the problem? Could it be a driver for the camera that has caused this? Is there any way of finding out whether a specific driver needs updating or something?

Many thanks,

batania

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users