Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you combine files into a single file?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MakoInfused

MakoInfused

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

Hi I was just wondering if there are any programs that can combine pictures, folders, and sounds into one (preexisting) executable file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

Do you mean like archiving the file? Maybe you can explain a bit what you would need such a file for?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well, if you mean just for archiving purposes, there's WinRAR.

If you want an executable file that plays a movie composed of different image files and sound files, take a look at RAD Video Tools.

#4 MakoInfused

MakoInfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I'm talking about adding a whole bunch of things such as graphics, and folders into a single exe file this way all the directories and other things aren't in separate folders. Basically I'm trying to compile things into a simple little game. I want it to retain the location of the directories, but so that the directories are all in the exe file in tact, but aren't available for the players to edit (things such as graphics). I hope that explains the situation, thanks for the help.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

That's... a bit more complex.

Blizzard Entertainment uses this method for their games. All the game media is stored in MPQ files. I don't know if it's an open standard or not, but here's the Wikipedia article about MPQs.

This is a little outside of my experience, but I hope the above info at least sets you going in the right direction!

#6 MakoInfused

MakoInfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

That's... a bit more complex.

Blizzard Entertainment uses this method for their games. All the game media is stored in MPQ files. I don't know if it's an open standard or not, but here's the Wikipedia article about MPQs.

This is a little outside of my experience, but I hope the above info at least sets you going in the right direction!

Well thanks that's similar to what I was going to do. However, I wanted to actually combine the files into the exe file, not to a different file type. So basically something that just puts folder and files into the executable I already have made.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Edited by MakoInfused, 20 May 2009 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users