Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer slow down.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 james42519

james42519

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

some reason my computer just slowed down. takes a least a min to do anythign it seems.

dell dimension 8200
os: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600) up: 1wk 4days 54mins 33secs cpu: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz (x86) at 1794MHz (5% Load) gfx: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64.0MB res: 800x600 32bit 75Hz ram: 94/255MB (36.98%) [||||------] hdd: C:\ 19.02GB/37.26GB net: EtherFast 10_100 Managed Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport - 100MB/s 100.27MB In 203.38MB Out

that is a script in mirc and i did that with only mirc opened. have no idea if "100.27MB In 203.38MB Out" is now, the most i can do or what.

ping from mirc is 27 sec now. everything looks alright in task manager. it almost seems like the computer is not using cache/virtual memory like it should be. the harddrive light is not flashing like it usually does. before you say i can't buy more memory because it is rambus. that stuff is a lot of money. can't think of anything else to say.

thanks for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:27 AM

Does this "up: 1wk 4days 54mins 33secs " mean that it has been that long since you rebooted the computer?

If so, try rebooting it. Seems like the light should be on regardless though so even if it has been that long since reboot, it might not help. If it has been that long, I would atleast give that a try before doing anything else or even getting worried.

#3 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:45 AM

Does this "up: 1wk 4days 54mins 33secs " mean that it has been that long since you rebooted the computer?

If so, try rebooting it. Seems like the light should be on regardless though so even if it has been that long since reboot, it might not help. If it has been that long, I would atleast give that a try before doing anything else or even getting worried.

it has been on longer then that before. like months. never had trouble. had trouble few weeks ago actually starting computer. got stuck at the windows screen and then went to black screen and did nothing. took forever to actually get it to start least 10-20 times. after it did it worked fine and could restart and stuff with no trouble. guess i can restart see what happens but afraid of it not turning back on. anything else i can try before restarting?

#4 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:03 AM

ok so i restarted and seems like it might have worked. guess i was wrong. have any idea why it was messing up like ti was the one day though?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:38 AM

I am glad that helped, it usually does with that kind of problem. Sorry I did not get back to you after you posted before you rebooted. I was watching for a reply for a little bit but then got involved in something else. I would not have had any suggestion for you to try before rebooting though as that was definitely the first step.

As for why it will go longer than other times before needing a reboot is sometimes it just depends on what programs have been run and how or what website have loaded and how or what mood the computer happens to be in, lol. Mine can go a long time between startups most of the time but once in a while, not long at all. Computers can be glitchy

As to why it caused you problems before when starting up, I have no idea, sorry.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Information about slow computers can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Information concearning "black screen" problems can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Information about slow computers can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Information concearning "black screen" problems can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

Black Screen Hang (after splash screen appears) (usually video driver)

think it might be the video card because i opened the green thing that holds card in adding a tv card thing. after that trouble. took tv card thing out and still messed up. looked through cards and seemed like the video card was actually cracking when holding in hand. have no idea how that would happen but it works now. just don't mess with the cards i guess.

Edited by james42519, 03 May 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#8 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

it is still doing it like ever few days. usualyl seems after avira updates. is there some log file i can look at to see what happens? when i restart i have to force quit everything too like explorer.exe and stuff. this is really getting old and want to know what is happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users