Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Drive drops off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Socantor

Socantor

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have 4 disk drives. One, called "D" repeatedly drops off, ie cannot be seen in Explorer or accessed. I use it to store music, photographs.
"C" drive has Windows XP Home User, "E" drive video clips, "F: drive is DVD/Rewriteable CD drive, "G" contains Adobe Premier Elements 7 and is used for creating DVDs.

Noted that "The device 'WDC WD1600JB-00REA0' (IDE\DiskWDC_WD1600JB-00REA0_____________________20.00K20\5&36e1b51b&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal." appears on the system event log - this is the drive that disappears.. Also event error messages 12 and 51 are recorded.

Access to "D" is generally restored on re-boot. It will drop off either while the computer is being used, or while in or standby or hibernate modes.

Edit: Removed log attachment - not allowed in this forum

Edited by garmanma, 03 May 2009 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

In my world, it would be time for disk checks on all...using manufacturer's diagnostics.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 Socantor

Socantor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi Louis
Thanks! I've tried the web site, it looks wise, and when time is good will attempt their solutions.
Cheers
Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users