Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop has been fried

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sebaz

sebaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

A friend of mine has a Gateway laptop, the MP8708. She accidentally used with it a 46v AC adapter that belonged to something else, and since the laptop has a 19v input, she most likely fried it. With or without the battery, when she presses the power button its own light comes on, and also there are two other LEDs that come on, power and battery, the last one only if the battery is in place, but other than that, the laptop does nothing. There's no hard drive movement, the screen is completely blank, in other words, completely dead with the exception of those LEDs.

I have some experience with desktops but none with laptops, so my question to an expert in laptops is, do you think she fried the whole motherboard and perhaps other components, or do these laptops have some kind of protection circuitry for cases like this? I would think so, but I'm not sure. If she only fried the part of the power supply that is inside the laptop, is that an expensive repair, or below $100?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

I'm by no means a laptop "expert" but it sounds like the motherboard has been fried.
The problem is since everything received the overpower you really won't know exactly how much damage was done without testing the individual components.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users