Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:57 PM
A friend of mine has a Gateway laptop, the MP8708. She accidentally used with it a 46v AC adapter that belonged to something else, and since the laptop has a 19v input, she most likely fried it. With or without the battery, when she presses the power button its own light comes on, and also there are two other LEDs that come on, power and battery, the last one only if the battery is in place, but other than that, the laptop does nothing. There's no hard drive movement, the screen is completely blank, in other words, completely dead with the exception of those LEDs.
I have some experience with desktops but none with laptops, so my question to an expert in laptops is, do you think she fried the whole motherboard and perhaps other components, or do these laptops have some kind of protection circuitry for cases like this? I would think so, but I'm not sure. If she only fried the part of the power supply that is inside the laptop, is that an expensive repair, or below $100?