Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Operate In "Normal Mode"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JackieP

JackieP

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

I have a strange problem. I have Windows XP and all of the sudden, when my computers starts up, goes past the "Windows XP Professional" screen; the screen turns blue and there is a long message saying the computer shut down windows to prevent damage. Now the only way I can access windows and the internet if I operate in safe mode. Also, if I click on a website I found in the search engine, I get something else.

If you need further info, I'll reboot and jot down what else you need.

UPDATE:

Somehow I got it to run normally, BUT I still have the search engine problem (Fastclick.com?) and I cannot seem to be able to run Malware Bytes or Spybot.

Edited by JackieP, 02 May 2009 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

From what little information you posted about the BSOD it is very difficult to determine what might be causing this...With the information that you provided about MBAM and Spybot not working leads me to believe that you probably have some sort of malware infection that is disabling them...

I would recommend that you open up a new topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Describe in full what is happening and let the experts there guide you in searching and destroying any type of malware that may be causing this.

I would also suggest that you copy all information about the BSOD and post it here...Someone may be able to help you with it if they knew what it was...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 JackieP

JackieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

I kept searching the forums on this site and someone suggested on another thread to rename Malware's .exe file to .com, I did that and it worked. So far my computer is behaving normally. Thank you, this place has helped me many times!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users