Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ldavis

ldavis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

I have a laptop running Windows 98 that seems to have contracted Smitfraud spyware. I have read the instructions to get rid of this. However, the problem I have is when the computer boots, I have no means of doing anything to it. Therefore, I can't download Hijack This or any other antivirus type software. When it boots, the Security Warning and Explorer error box come up and I can't even shut down the computer unless I power it down.
If anyone can tell me how to go about installing Hijack This and/or any other software that may help me get rid of this , I will be extremely appreciative.
Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

There is 2 things you can try if it will work?

Put an antivirus disk in as you boot.

Or if you have 98 disk do a complete reinstall.

What is strange is that there are two of you on this forum both with same problem and reading the other one a trogan has taken a file out.

have you been to the microsoft site and tried getting anything from there.

ALSO WHAT aNTIVIRUS DID OR HAVE YOU GOT ON YOUR LAPTOP.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 ldavis

ldavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

First of all ... thanks for the response.

I have tried to boot with an antivirus disk in the drive. I guess the spyware is preventing any activity because nothing happened.

The antivirus that is on the laptop is out of date. This particular machine was not supposed to be used for the internet. However, it was... and it was unprotected... therefore, disaster struck.

I am now trying to undo this without losing the software that is on it. So, because of that, a reinstall of 98 is not an option unless all other avenues are unsucessful.

If I could find out a way to gain some control of the machine and install anti spyware and an antivirus perhaps I could overcome this problem. But, so far I have been unsucessful.

Thanks
ldavis

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

Hi ldavis,
Clearly you need to get some tools running to remove the malware. Can you boot in Safe Mode? Usually just by frequently tapping the F8 key as the PC boots. If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

Do you have access to an Internet linked PC and some compatible media you could use to transfer files? If so you can download anti-spyware programs and their pattern file updates and install them on your laptop. You can even download free anti-virus programs and pattern files. A USB pendrive is ideal for transferring this kind of information. I would recommend:
AVG anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

all of the following:Alternatively:
If you cannot boot in Safe Mode then perhaps you could remove the hard drive from the laptop and install it in an USB external enclosure (they are fairly cheap to buy). Then attach that enclosure to another PC (which has all the appropriate security software installed and updated on it!) and run the scans on the external drive.

I have tried to boot with an antivirus disk in the drive. I guess the spyware is preventing any activity because nothing happened.

What anti-virus disk where you using? If you booted from the disk the virus on your laptop could not block its operation. Is the laptop set to boot from CD first in the BIOS?

Maybe somethig in all this will be of help. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users