Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem playing .wav files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Madae

Madae

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

I don't know what I did in the past few days that started this, but my PC won't play wav files. I can open up the files in windows media player and they work fine, but youtube videos don't have sound, sound recorder won't let me record anything and the windows sounds won't play (it won't even let me test the files in sounds and audio devices). I've checked the volume menu and it's not muted. I have a SB X-Fi soundcard and I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers multiple times and that doesn't do anything.

The only thing I can think of that I've done in the past few days was going to Windows Update and downloading a few recommended updates (.net fixes, office 2007 fixes, windows genuine advantage and IE 8). I also tried testing my mic and couldn't figure out how to get it working (although I did find the problem with that one - my optical out on the soundcard was also the mic output). It all worked fine just a few days ago...

Does anyone know what it could be?

Edited by Madae, 02 May 2009 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

Sooo...you are saying that WMP works fine...and nothing else related to audio functions properly?

Louis

#3 Madae

Madae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Sooo...you are saying that WMP works fine...and nothing else related to audio functions properly?

Louis

wmp, games, movies - anything that isn't a .wav works fine. I can run the .wav files in wmp and they work. But youtube videos (and most other browser videos I've tried), testing .wav files in sounds and audio devices, and even the sound recorder won't let me play them. Maybe this sounds really weird - but I've never had this problem before and I don't really know how to explain it better than that. Sound works, .wav files don't.

Edited by Madae, 02 May 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#4 The Big Remover

The Big Remover

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

what are you using for a browser? EDIT: IE8? There should be a box under tools, internet options, multimedia, that should be checked that says: Play sounds in web pages.....

Edited by The Big Remover, 02 May 2009 - 09:25 PM.

see website and you tell me!

#5 Madae

Madae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

I use Firefox, but I've tested IE8 and it also is having the same problem. But again, it doesn't appear to be just a browser issue, since my computer won't play wav files in the control panel - sounds & audio devices - sounds menu. But maybe I'm missing something?

Edited by Madae, 02 May 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#6 The Big Remover

The Big Remover

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I guess you went directly to the sound recorder itself and checked the properties? y/n? (under the menu bar)
see website and you tell me!

#7 Madae

Madae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Yeah. Just a few days ago I was trying to get my mic working and was recording while testing the plugs, but now the options are grayed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users