How to remove the Spysheriff
|Detected SPYware! System error #384|
|Your IP address is 192.168.1.100. Using this address a remote computer has gained anaccess to your computer and probably is collecting the information about the sites you've visited and the files contained in the folder Temporary Internet Files. Attention! Ask for help or install the software for deleting secret information about the sites you visited.|
|Your computer is full of evidences!|
Fake Taskbar Alert.
Tools Needed for this fix:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySheriff] C:\Program Files\SpySheriff\SpySheriff.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe
07/10/06 - Updated the tutorial to use newer tools.
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- Download SmitfraudFix.exe from here and save it to your desktop:
Confirm that the file SmitfraudFix.exe now resides on your desktop, but do not double-click on the icon as of yet. We will use it in later steps. The icon will look like the one below:
- Next, please reboot your computer into Safe
Mode by doing the following:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
Windows icon appears, press F8.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
- When you are at the logon prompt, log in as the same user which you had done the previous steps.
- Restart your computer
- When your computer has started in safe mode and you see the desktop.
- Close all open Windows.
- Now, double-click on the SmitFraudfix icon that should be residing on your
desktop.The icon will look like the one below:
- When the tool first starts you will see a credits screen. Simply press
any key on your keyboard to get to the next screen.
- You will now see a menu as shown in the image below. Press the number 2
on your keyboard and the press the enter key to choose the
option Clean (safe mode recommended).
- The program will start cleaning your computer and go through a series of
cleanup processes. When it is done, it will automatically start the Disk Cleanup
program as shown by the image below.
This program will remove all Temp, Temporary Internet Files, and other files that may be leftover files from this infection. This process can take up to a few hours depending on your computer, so please be patient. When it is complete, it will close automatically and you will should continue with step 11.
- When Disk Cleanup is finished, you will be presented with an option asking
Do you want to clean the registry ? (y/n). At this
screen you should press the Y button on your keyboard and
then press the enter key.
- When this last routine is finished, you will be presented with a red screen
stating Computer will reboot now. Close all applications.
You should now press the spacebar on your computer. A counter will appear
stating that the computer will reboot in 15 seconds. Do not cancel this countdown
and allow your computer to reboot.
- Once the computer has rebooted, you will be presented with a Notepad screen
containing a log of all the files removed from your computer. Examine this
log, and when you are done, close the Notepad screen.
Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.
BleepingComputer.com can not be held responsible for problems that may occur by using this information. If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you.
Edited by Grinler, 30 December 2006 - 04:30 PM.