Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP LAN/WAN Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nick3411

nick3411

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi, First off we have 3 computers. 1 Desktop (running XP) & 2 Laptops (1 running XP the other Vista) They all connect to the internet through a wireless router (D-Link WBR-2310)

Thursday Morning I tried to connect to the internet on the desktop. It was showing that the LAN had a low connection, and could not access the internet. I tried the two laptops, and the same thing. Later that evening, I was able to access the internet through the router on both laptops, but not the desktop. Around 10 PM I went to use the Internet on the Laptop with Vista. I was only able to make a local connection, not to the internet. Today, on both laptops, I am unable to access the internet, and make a local connection.

On the desktop, I tried repairing the LAN connection, which it wouldn't let me. I tried connecting to the internet through the broadband connection (WAN Miniport PPPOE) which we used to connect to before we had a router. It wouldn't let me connect, and kept trying to redial.

I unplugged both the router, and the cable modem for 5 minutes and then plugged them back in to let them "power cycle". I still have the same problem trying to connect with the desktop to both LAN/WAN and the Laptops to LAN. I also tried renewing the ISP which didn't do anything.

I am, however able to access the internet on the laptop with vista plugged directly into the cable modem, and using a broadband connection. On the other laptop with XP, I am unable to access the net with a broadband connection, which it keeps attempting to redial.

I hope I explained the problem correctly. Anyone know what the problem can be? and a Solution?

Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users