Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden XP not starting issue!! help needed!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hi
All was fine this morning, & then i turned my pc off!
This evening, i turned pc on & immediately, i got the black screen with what said as near as i can remember!

Windows cannot start, appologise for the inconvenience, probably to do with a software or hardware change & that i should start in safe mode or normally or like last configurations etc! I clicked last configurations & then got pc rebooting again & got the XP logo & the usual screen only then back to same black screen with the options!

This happened 3 times & then the 'blue, Welcome' windows screen appeared & it was checking all types of things & then 'touch wood' it started ok & i saw my desktop! But am scared of shutting down again!! as it may not restart!
I haven't done anything like changed hardware or software!

Can anyone advise!!

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Could be a damaged MBR...you could try running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console on the Windows XP install CD.

Just guessing.

Louis

#3 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

It said it was a disk check! After a while i could only get the Bios screen (Compaq) & then the black screen & then after a while trying i got the pale blue screen that normally says 'welcome' & it was checking various stuff! & then it went to my desktop as usual!

I shut down & started & all seems ok, but am wondering why it happened?

Does Windows check & repair things if there's a fault & is there anything i can do about it like regular defrag or clean up etc!!

It was outa the blue!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

The only "Windows check" that will run automatically...is the one involving chkdsk.

This check will normally occur when Windows detects something wrong with either the hard drive itself...the file system on the hard drive...or the files placed on the file system.

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Normally, IMO...when chkdsk runs on its own, it's not a good thing. There's trouble somewhere and the user should run the chkdsk /r command from the command prompt screen or run chkdsk from the Graphical Interface (My Computer). The reason I suggest this is that the chkdsk which runs automatically...is incomplete and not as comprehensive as chkcsk /r.

Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html The method first illustrated is easier for some, but check the box to recover from bad sectors.

Louis

#5 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Ok, i ran CHKDSK as said & it took a while, i checked the box to recover from bad sectors, but after it stopped & my pc carried on as normal!! Does this mean all is ok?

thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

If the system is working as it should now...I would have to guess that all is sufficiently OK.

Louis

#7 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hi
It was working ok until this morning, the same thing happened again!! I just got the black screen 'Appologies for incovenience', what did i want to do & it was counting down!
I clicked return on 'start Windows normally', there was no CHKDSK performed!
I have rebooted & all seems fine, it just happens spasmodically!!

I wonder what it could be?

Wf

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

Have you checked Device Manager for possible indications of driver problems?

I think that I would run a hard drive diagnostic (from the hard drive manufacturer's website) on your boot drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#9 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hi
I have used the Belarc tool & i know i don't regularly do a lot of Microsoft updates, as i was told that i don't need to if i have antivirus/mal/spyware programmes up to date!!
I am not sure if this is an issue though!

Wf

#10 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

I copied my Belarc scan into Notepad!

Can i post it here, or somewhere & have someone take a look!

Cheers

wf

#11 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

This morning it happened & the black screen with white writing on & the line 'start windows normally' was highlighted, so i pressed return & it just went back to the 'Compaq' logo screen in red & then straight to the black page with white writing!

I let the timer at the bottom move down to zero from 28 seconds & it then just went to the blue 'welcome' page & proceeded as normal!

#12 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

Ok, this is the original message that the black screen said as i pressed F10 during startup & the countdown froze & i was able to writr it down.

"We appologise for the inconvenience, but Windows didn't start successfully.
A Hardware or Software change might have caused this

If your pc stopped responding, restarted automatically or was automatically shut down to protect your files & folders, chose 'last known configuration' to revert to most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interupted, due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if your not sure what caused the problem, chose 'Start Windows as Normal'.

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION PROMPT
START NORMALLY

Use up & down keys to highlight your choice.
Seconds to Windows start : 28 "

This screen doesn't always happen & starts successfully, sometimes i leave the countdown to countdown, sometimes i press on 'start normally'. There is no set rule to when it works or fails. Most of the time it just reboots to this page when i do anything.
I hope someone can help!

wf

#13 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

I also found this link:-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...0236&dlc=en

but because the issue doesn't always happen, i am not sure what is running on startup that could be causing the problems & whether deleting a programme is the answer.

It always starts in safe mode & then i went to msconfig & startup & deleted all & it booted fine!

I am not sure if it is one of the startup programmes that is causing the issue or something else!

These are the programmes in startup:-

igfxtray
hkcmd
avgnt
rundll32
firewall
jusched
realsched
msnmsgr
SUPERAntispyware
ERUNT autobackup

One thing i know for sure, it always happens if the pc is off a long time. If i turn it off & then reboot up to an hour later, its usually ok!

help appreciated

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hello

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/226117/xp-startup-issue-could-it-be-a-virus-issue/

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

Because you have a log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users