Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB-Cruzer micro 8GB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cajunnurse

cajunnurse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

I had bought this USB to try to back up some files on a computer that was acting fishy. When it was inserted into the computer the antivirus software on the usb detected a problem and recommended removal immediately after ejecting. On a different computer Norton detected win32.virut on the usb and removed it. I immediately scanned it and my entire computer again. Everything is coming up clean. All scans on the USB itself with it's antivirus software and Norton on my hard drive are coming back clean. Is it safe to continue using this USB. I don't want to infect my new pc or anyone else's for that matter.

Thanks!
Posted Image
Thank you to all of the wonderful people here at this forum for all of your time and effort!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hmmm... if you want to continue using the flash drive, I'd recommend reformatting it. This will delete everything on the drive, including any viruses.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 cajunnurse

cajunnurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

Ok, I am not very tech savy. Can you tell how I would about reformatting it? I would really hate to do that if I don't have to. I just bought the darn thing and it came with all kind of software on it. I haven't been able to even look all of it. :thumbsup: Is there no other way?
Posted Image
Thank you to all of the wonderful people here at this forum for all of your time and effort!

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

If you're positive any/all viruses have been removed, then you don't have to reformat. After reading over your original post again, it seems that the threat has been taken care of. I personally don't use any of the preinstalled software on the drive, so reformatting would be my choice.

#5 cajunnurse

cajunnurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Could you tell me how to reformat it? Just in case? lol I am very nervous about infecting my new computer and am in the process of getting my logs checked to make sure nothing slipped through the cracks. I really appreciate your help. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

Go to My Computer, then find the drive. It should be called Removable Disk. Simply right-click on it and you'll see the Format... option. When you click it, a popup box will appear giving you the drive's capacity, what file system you want to format it to, allocation size (I don't mess with this) and what you want to name the drive after the reformat. It'll also give you an option to perform a quick format, but I usually leave this unticked.

#7 cajunnurse

cajunnurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate your time. Now I just need to decide. There were a few programs on there that I liked. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Posted Image

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Take a look at this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1124316
And follow those directions. I would do this before formatting your USB Drive.

Pay particular attention to the part in Green.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 cajunnurse

cajunnurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thanks! I really didn't want to have to reformat the darned thing. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 cajunnurse

cajunnurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

Well I ended up reformatting my computer. Now I am way too freaked to put that USB anywhere near this thing. I guess that's $20 down the drain! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

Sorry that you had to reformat
One thing to remember if you buy another thumb drive, run Flash Drive Disinfector on it as soon as you get it.
Some drives were shipped with a virus already on it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Whoa, that was unexpected... Sorry to hear that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users