Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB cable hookup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 casey_arm

casey_arm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

I have purchased a new cannon printer for my computer as my old one gave up.
I have a older tower and the printer that came with it had it's own cable attached.
The one I purchased uses a USB cable hookup. My tower has two spots for this type of connection and presently are both filled with my internet modem and my wireless mouse and keyboard modem.
I can exchange the printer for the internet modem and the printer will work just not print from internet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem besides buying a newer tower?
Thanks for any assistance
Casey_arm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

In your case, I would suggest that you purchase an external usb hub...Google search will provide you with many types...Select the one that works best for your budget plug it in to one of your existing usb ports and POOFFF you have a few more places to plug your toys into...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Sure...easy alternatives are available.

One alternative, devices like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817180008

Another alternative, devices like this: Any of these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

I would go for the latter...cheaper and more reliable, IMO. Requires installation in computer (which is easy) so you need to check and ensure that you have an empty PCI slot in the system (before deciding this is the best alternative).

Louis

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hello casey_arm,

Another alternative would be to connect your modem to your computer using an Ethernet cable with RJ45 plugs (if your computer has a Network Interface Card (NIC) and your modem has a jack for an RJ45 Ethernet connection). That will free-up one USB port on the computer for the new printer.

In general, if you have the choice/alternative/capability (as described above), it is better to connect the internet modem to the computer using the Ethernet connection rather than the USB connection. Additionally, if your computer does not now have a NIC but it does have an empty PCI slot on the motherboard, NIC's are very inexpensive.

#5 casey_arm

casey_arm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions I will explore and fix my problem.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

M...is right about the Internet connectivity :thumbsup:.

One thing to remember is that modems which connect either way...may require removal of the alternative drivers before using the other method of connection. Installation instructions should indicate such, if this is the case.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users