Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS problem in P6T6 WS Revolution

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eagleman

Eagleman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

I completed a new build for my main home computer in March. Components are: Vista 64 Home Premium, Asus P6T6, i7 920, 6GB of Corsair Dominator 1600 RAM, ASUS Xonar DX, 2 RD3 WD 1 tbyte drives in RAID 0 (boot drive), 1 500GB WD drive for backup, Logitech Z6800 digital speakers, Pioneer DVD/CDR, LG BlueRay drive, EVGA GTX 285 SSC, Noctua CPU cooler, Revolution 85+ 950W, Planar 26" IPS. The processor is not overclocked and the bios configuration (updated to latest 0407) is default except the RAM, which is set to XMP profile 1600 8,8,8,24. The system ran without a hiccup from first build, and I am very happy with it except for this VERY annoying problem.

In the middle of a computer session, the monitor would go black and I would get an overclocking failed message (I have never overclocked this computer). This has happened sporadically approximately five times to this writing. When entering the BIOS after each occurance, the hard drive sequence under the boot menu was reversed from "Intel Raid" in the first position to my single 500GB drive used for backup. "Intel Raid" now occupied the second position. I would then replace "Intel Raid" back into it's proper first position in the sequence, save the changes and leave the BIOS. The computer would then boot normally. No other changes were noted throughout the BIOS. A new, related behavior has started since the beginning of April where again the screen would go black (with a few white lines flashing) in the middle of a session, and no error messages would appear. I would then shut down the computer, reboot, enter the BIOS and AGAIN the same reversal of the hard drive sequence had occured. I would then fix the problem as previously described and the machine would reboot normally. This sporadic behavior has also happened approximately five times. By the way, updating the BIOS from 0311 to 0407 did not help.

I'm getting tired of this. I have attempted to search the forums throughout the NET regarding these issues, and found a few similar (though not exact) references to this problem, but no fixes. Judging by the lack of information I can find about this problem, few users are experiencing it. Anybody out there have more definitive knowledge?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

I think I'd check every drive involved...I can't think of any other reason why boot drive settings would be impacted.

Well...it could always be a CMOS battery scenario, I might replace that.

My two cents :thumbsup:.

Louis

More references, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t...mp;aq=f&oq=

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

Set the memory to "Auto" .
Let it be automatically detected & configured by the BIOS.

Because the manufacturer says "8,8,8,24" that doesn't mean it should be set to that in every unit it's in.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users