Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2 problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TexasRock

TexasRock

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:19 PM

Anyone else experiencing any problems with their OS after downloading SP2?

I can't bring up my task manager and several websites I try to go to won't display.

Anyone know what may be wrong?

Thank you in advance!!

TexasRock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TexasRock

TexasRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:45 PM

Now it won't let me boot up or even boot to safe mode...

Says there are several .dll files missing

Tried to uninstall SP2 and that didn't do anything either.... it kicked me out of the uninstall after about 15 minutes and locked up the computer and wouldn't let me reboot. I am now working on my "backup" computer that I have for just such emergencies until I can rectify my other problem...

TexasRock

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

:flowers: Well, I'm hoping someone will answer this question because I can't get SP2 to install at all, so maybe there are some problems with it (i.e., SP1A!!!).

Let's hope someone answers you soon! :thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:33 PM

I have not gone near it yet...and prob wont until a few more weeks go by. Have you tried uninstalling it??

#5 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:43 AM

On another computer, download SP2 onto a CD from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

(Go to microsoft.com, downloads, search for SP2, see the one for IT professionals, save to disk)

Reinstall SP2 on the problem computer.

#6 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

If you cannot uninstall SP2 then try following these steps

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst , and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt , and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.
7. After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit , and then press ENTER.
8. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.
9. When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps: a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
c. In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK.
d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Restart your computer

10. try then to remove it from add/remove programs

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

Ahem. Pardon me, but did you realize you are responding to a 2-year old topic?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users