Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Fighter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone knows how one can tell if a program called Spyware Fighter is the legit anit-spyware program or if it is the malware program that has the same name.

In doing a search on this program which my neice has on her system, most hits show it to be malware but there is a legit program by that name. One of the articles I found when researching it says this...

Spyware Fighter description
Spyware Fighter is a functional anti-spyware; unfortunately, the same named malware was created recently. The corrupt program named SpywareFighter is totally useless but it will cost you $80. Spyware Fighter may be downloaded voluntarily, but it is more often installed by trojans like Vundo and Zlob.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two?

My neice assumes it was put on when her uncle (on the other side of her family, so I have no way to ask him about it) put some security programs on the computer a couple of months ago but she is not sure what all he put on. I am not sure that he would have put this program on as he is really good with computers and I cannot really see him putting on a program that I have not seen recommended anywhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

'Spyware Fighter' is another rogue anti-spyware application.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-spyware-fighter.html
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:34 AM

Thanks Koan

I know that there is a rogue version but there is one that is legit. I just do not know how to tell the difference. The one at this site is suppose to be the legit one....

spamfighter.com/Spywarefighter

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

I wouldn't mess around with either. Updating too problematic?

The BC has a listing of freeware applications that we have checked out and know to be clean.

I'd just delete it if you can?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Stang if you look at the link you can see a screenshot of the bad one, so you will know for sure if it is the same one.
James

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

Thank you Koan, I am with you on that one, I would not want either one. I use the free malware and spyware programs that I learned about here and would like her to also, but if she has the legit program, I won't worry about it for now.

Thank you James for pointing out a way to tell the difference. I will try to get over to her house soon and see what hers looks like.

I just got done talking to her dad and he said she is not getting any popups telling her she is infected. I believe that if it were not the legit one, she would be, so I am starting to think it is probably the legit one. Had I been able to find out that info before I probably would not have posted my question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users