Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download or run Ad aware - help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jazzymazzy

jazzymazzy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hello friends,

i need some advice please. I tried to run ad aware updated definitions as usual only to find it would not update. The indicator stopped at 5%. I unistalled ad aware and tried to reinstall it from the adaware site, Cnet, ZDnet and Majorgeeks download sites. None would download. I get directed to a page reading ' You are not authorised to view this page'. In effect i can't redownload ad aware.

I've run spybot - no threats found. I'm in the process of running Zonealarm security suite anti virus check. I suspect i've got a virus that is preventing me downloading ad aware as i've not had this problem before.

Does anyone out there know about this? Offer any solutions please?

I'll do a symantec online scan, and a panda scan as a a double check.

I haven't found anything on the forum on this. If so, please forward to appropriate section.

1.Virus scan indicates 2 infections in archive infected with IRC. Flood virus in C:/WINDOWS Internet logs\ZL - scan unable to repair. Have tried to manually delete these files - not sure if that is the solution......?

2. Cannot access ANY virus scan page online. Keep getting above redirection page. Has my browser been hijacked?

Not sure what to do?????

Cheers,

Jazzymazzy.

Edited by jazzymazzy, 22 June 2005 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:47 AM

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log here.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip
Manually download the updated defs from this link, put them in the adaware program directory and extract the contents, overwrite the existing file.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

IRC Flood is a Trojan. Zone Alarm Virus Details - Flood

You could download a-squared Free (aČ)

The aČ Malware Database - Trojans currently lists 27 IRC trojans. This page takes a while to load.

This is the free version. It is a wonderful program. And is well thought of. Make sure that you have all of the latest updates. The run it in safe mode.

a-squared (aČ) Free is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). aČ fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 23 June 2005 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image

#4 jazzymazzy

jazzymazzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hello friends,

Thank you for your suggestions. Manual deletion seems to have done the trick!!

I am getting better at this slowly.

As always, any future dilemmas and i'll put a post up.

Meanwhile, many thanks for replying, and happy computing!!

Jazzymazzy.

This post can be closed as the issue appears to be resolved. Thankyou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users