Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange exe's running in task manager And slated to startup with pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kamui

Kamui

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

got a bunch of strange exe's running in my task manager and a ton of unmarked startup exe's in my msconfig startup list names of all of them are.

Startup List: Deploy.exe - pi.exe - bf.exe and those 3 again but in startup all users and startup my username the first 3 are installed in program files and meant to start from there so 8 entries all together

Windows Task Manager: System-dllhost.exe - System-jqs.exe - System-ekrn.exe - System-lsass.exe - System-csrss.exe - System-smss.exe - Local Service-alg.exe - Kamui (my user name on xp) hasp-upd.exe
Some of those might be harmless but i feel like a fool using that file i mentioned in my former locked post so i want to be sure and extra careful to get everything.

sorry about posting that log only skimmed through the posting rules was little nervous wanted help fast, hoping you guys can help me clean my system so i don't have to format again. thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hi Kamui

A lot of those ones you mention are normal Windows operation. At the top of every page here, is a STARTUP tab - check the ones you are not sure of there.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

Also, it is a good idea for everyone to have a copy of Process Explorer from MicroSoft.

It is a much enlarged version of Task Manager and will show you exactly what is going on in the background on your machine and will answer the type of questions you asked above. Have a play, and you will learn a lot. It opens up all those strange svchost entries which are usually showing up multiple entries and shows each service running.

Right at this moment, I have 12 instances of svchost.exe running in Task Manager and Process Explorer tells me that some of them have nearly 20 entries - well worth having.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Kamui

Kamui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

oh good thanks for the help and i am grabbing that app now. guess if everything is seems fine you can go ahead and lock this topic whenever. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users