Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete a file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tomt491

tomt491

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

I posted this problem on a Yahoo Photoshop Elements forum the other night and received several good suggestions, one of them urging me to join this group and seek its help.

I'm using Win XP SP3 on a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz. The other day I was editing images using Photoshop Elements 7 and after closing the program, I decided to open it again to do something else. When I started selecting searching for an image to work on, I usually start on my "G" drive, click MY FILES, then work my way to the folder with the images. This time, I noticed a file named, "Photoshop Temp267886516". It's a 59.7 MB file. I clicked on it to try to open it and received the following message......

"Cannot open "G:\Photoshop Temp267886516" because it is the wrong type of file.

One of the forum members suggested I google search for "File Unlocker". I did and downloaded it and gave it a try.

Please note that the "Photoshop Temp267886516" file only appears in an "Open File" window when I have Photoshop Elements 7 active. It doesn't appear in regular file searching mode using Windows Explorer or any other Open File operation when PSE 7 is closed.

Anyway, in PSE 7, I clicked on the "Photoshop Temp267886516" file, Right Clicked on it again and selected the Unlocker option. The Unlocker 1.8.7 window opened and I highlighted the file. Here's the complete description of what I'm reading......

Process: PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
Path Locked: G:\Photoshop Temp267886516
PID: 516
H: 704
Process Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe|Photoshop Elements 7.0\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

In the bottom left corner I selected the "Delete" option
In the bottom right corner I selected the "Unlock" option

A small "Success" window open saying that "The object was deleted."
The file was no longer listed among the files to select from in the "G:\" Open window.

However. after closing PSE 7 and immediately restarting it, the "Photoshop Temp267886516" is still there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I might try to delete the file. It's not a big deal because the G drive has about 55 GB's of free space left but I would just like to be able to get rid of it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Tom T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

From what I've read, it sounds like your Photoshop "Scratch Disk".

Usually image files are very large, and thus PhotoShop uses the default startup hard disk for virtual memory or paging files when the RAM is full. In PhotoShop we calls this Scratch Disk. A user can specify which hard disks are used for scratch disks (see the following figure). Paging files in scratch disks are temporary. When you close PhotoShop normally, these files are deleted.

Temporary Files in Scratch Disks

Google results - photoshop temp files
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tomt491

tomt491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

From what I've read, it sounds like your Photoshop "Scratch Disk".

Usually image files are very large, and thus PhotoShop uses the default startup hard disk for virtual memory or paging files when the RAM is full. In PhotoShop we calls this Scratch Disk. A user can specify which hard disks are used for scratch disks (see the following figure). Paging files in scratch disks are temporary. When you close PhotoShop normally, these files are deleted.

Temporary Files in Scratch Disks

Google results - photoshop temp files

Thanks tg1911,

I've tried finding the actual file by looking for the scratch disk but I've not been successful. I do know that when I set the Photoshop Elements 7 up on the computer, I changed the scratch disk from the c:\ drive to my g:\ because it had lots of GB's of space.

One of the problems I'm seeing is that I don't think there's a "History" folder in SSE 7 so I can't go back to see if something can be deleted there.
Something must have happened the other day that "locked" the file in place so that it isn't removed when the program shuts down.

Thanks for getting back to me.
tom t

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:15 AM

Did you try the procedure mentioned, in the first link I provided?
It's under the part I quoted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tomt491

tomt491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

Did you try the procedure mentioned, in the first link I provided?
It's under the part I quoted.

When I clicked the link, "Temporary Files in Scratch Disks" it took me to the other web site that showed a window that apparently is from Photoshop. I'm using Photoshop Elements 7 and it's not the same.
However, I am able to see the problem file in an open window showing the "G" drive files and appears to be removed or deleted when I use the File Unlocker.

I even emptied the Recycle Bin thinking that since I did receive the window telling me that the object had been deleted, it probably was in the bin. However, when I reopened PSE 7 and then searched for files, the problem file was still in the system.

I think I did what you suggested.

Tom T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users