Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GUESS THIS IS A TOUGH ONE! ANSWERS? ANYONE?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gjhutch

gjhutch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

I am using Vista 32bit. In IE I can't get Adobe Flash Player to work. I have used this laptop for over a year with no problems and then about a month ago it started acting up. I don't get the gold bar to drop down in the browser to allow it to install. I have manually uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times Flash and Java but no change. I have adjusted the security settings in the browser but no change. The auto query suggestions on Google quit working. When I go to "About IE 7", the Version, Cypher Strength and Product ID don't have anything after them. Everything works fine when using Firefox. I updated and ran MAB, SAS, and ATF Cleaner the way I was directed by BleepingComputer when I had a problem on another PC, but didn't find anything. I also installed IE 8 to see if that would make a difference, but no change. I am not sure what is going on. Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Try using JavaRa to uninstall everything
http://sourceforge.net/projects/javara/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:02 AM

would it be better to uninstall in safe mode or does it matter and when I reinstall, which one should be first java or flash player?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

Safe mode would be better if possible
Install Java first
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

I ran Javara in safe mode and also uninstalled flash player using the uninstall tool from adobe. Had to install java using the offline download because couldn't see the download page when trying to use the online install. I guess that page needs active x to view. So after installing Java again still no change, no gold bar, etc. I read online that a windows update messed up some people's computers. If I uninstalled my windows updates from add/remove programs (there are 4) would it reinstall the updates back on the computer automatically or does that not pertain to this situation?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

You would be better off to find out which update they are referring to and just uninstall that one
I hope you have more than 4 updates
When you go to Programs and Features, on the left you will see View Installed Updates
Click on that and a list should populate
Mark
Posted Image

#7 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

yes i do have a lot more updates. thanks for showing me how to view them. i coundn't find again where i read about the update that caused the problem i'm having so i decided against that move. do you have anymore suggestions. i can't believe i'm the only one with this problem. should i try a different virus or malware program other than the ones i've used?
mcafee quit working and i couldn't reinstall it back when all this happened. i guess it uses active x also.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Try this flash repair utility.

http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe

The link is a live link. The rest of the website is in frence
I know 3 people to use this, so it's a safe site
Mark
Posted Image

#9 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

when i tried to run the flash repair utility i got a box that said "Can't find script engine "vbscript" for script". Oh and i ran it as administrator.................searched and found a fix to repair vbscript and then got an error about regserv.dll not being right or something. i can give exact error quote when i'm back at the laptop.

Edited by gjhutch, 12 May 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm afraid I have run out ideas. I'll keep looking
Mark
Posted Image

#11 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

ok, thank you.

#12 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

The error box I got when I tried to repair the vbscript had "RegSvr32" at the top left corner and read "The module "VBScript" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."

Maybe this helps.

Thanks.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/814995.htm

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/07/25/t...-windows-vista/
Mark
Posted Image

#14 gjhutch

gjhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

Garmanma thanks for all your help. I finally tried something that worked. Had to re-register vbscript and javascript through the command prompt. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users