Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install of XP, can I get it to see my old Program folder?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

I think I already know the answer (reinstall all my programs) but just thought I'd ask here...

I did a reinstall of XP Home today, but for some reason my hard drive wasn't formatted, which pleased me no end. I didn't lose my old Programs folder, and the D&S folder for my old profile is still there. I know I can just put shortcuts to my programs on the desktop, but I was wondering if there's a way (short of reinstalling all those programs) to essentially re-register them in the Registry so this fresh install of XP can see them?

Was that clear as mud?

Thanks for any ideas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

What makes you think you need to do anything?

Do the programs work as they should?

What did you use to accomplish this second install?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

I built this machine myself. ASUS PVP4-MX motherboard, 2.8 gig Celeron processor, 1.5 gig RAM, 1 80 gig HDD, 1 150 gig HDD. Fresh install of Windows XP from a genuine XP CD.

None of my previously installed programs show up in the Start menu, but there is a Programs folder on the C: drive with all those programs in it.

Yes, they run fine, but if I want to uninstall some of them they won't uninstall except through Add/Remove programs. Partly too I would like to have them available through the Start menu rather than having to go searching through the folder to run them. Just lazy, I guess.

I suppose I'm just mostly curious if there is a way to re-register these programs into the new Registry...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

If all you are concerned about is the lack of programs on the start menu...you can manually put a shortcut to each program on the Start menu and then access them from there.

The Start menu is nothing but shortcuts, the programs are in the C:\Program Files folder.

Louis

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

The easiest way to put them in the Start Menu is to go to the Start Menu, click on settings, then Taskbar and Start Menu, click on the Start Menu tab, the click on cusotmize and then click on Add. That will help you make the shortcuts to be placed in there. You can also click on Advance instead of Add to manually place the shortcuts easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users