Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding between two OCZ Platinum kits

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sebaz

sebaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

I thought that my motherboard (Intel D975XBX2) had a top of 4 GB of RAM, but later I found out that 8 GB is the maximum, which makes me feel foolish for having bought the extra 2 GB a while ago because now I have 4 GB in four modules that I'll have to pull out to put the 8 GB in their place.

After seeing what's available for my budget (no more than $100) I'm trying to decide between two OCZ Platinum kits. One is an 8 GB kit (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...atinum_quad_kit) and the other one is sold as a 4 GB kit with two 2 GB modules (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...d_bandwidth_4gb). Although I would assume it's dual channel, the 8 GB kit doesn't say so anywhere in that page. The 4 GB kit does say that it's dual channel, but also that it has "enhanced bandwidth".

So if anybody who reads this has a first hand experience with these two models and the Intel D975 chipset, please let me know if they are a good choice. I would also like to know if the 4 GB kit with the enhanced bandwidth gives a noticeable speed increase over the other kit, and in case it does if it sacrifices stability. Stability is more important to me than speed.

Finally, there's also an 8 GB kit in the Gold series, but I believe the Platinum series is better than the Gold, am I correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

Well...do you realize that running a 32-bit O/S (such as XP Home/Pro) allows a user a max of 4GB of RAM utilization?

If you are running a 64-bit O/S...then you would be able to use more than 4GB.

Louis

#3 sebaz

sebaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well...do you realize that running a 32-bit O/S (such as XP Home/Pro) allows a user a max of 4GB of RAM utilization?

If you are running a 64-bit O/S...then you would be able to use more than 4GB.

Louis

Oh, I've been using Vista 64 bit since I installed the 4 GB. The limit I was talking about was because somewhere in the Intel website there was an error stating that this motherboard had a max RAM of 4 GB, but later I found out it was 8.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

well, their both nearly identical, the second one has slightly better timings, but thats it. If I had to choose between the two it would be the second set because the lower timings. OCZ makes good memory, I dont think youd be sorry either way you went, though OCZ can be kinda pricey. Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220354 is what I use in my system, works very well and is cheaper then most OCZ memory, and I find Patriot quality to be A++ I put it in all my builds. Just throwin ya another option though, OCZ is excellent stuff. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users