Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just got new hard drive...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

The new hard drive is a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 120GB internal 2.5'

I already swapped it with the old one and when I turn it on it says:

"PXE: E61 Media tesr faliure , check cable
PXE: Exiting PXE Rom
Operating System Not found"

I cant tell if its already formatted or not (this my first time doing this). Do I just try and install Windows XP or what? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Hard drives do not come with anything on them...a user must format/create a partition...and install Windows on that partition...if the hard drive is not an addition, but a replacement.

Hence, the "O/S not found message."

Do you have an XP install CD?

Louis

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Hard drives do not come with anything on them...a user must format/create a partition...and install Windows on that partition...if the hard drive is not an addition, but a replacement.

Hence, the "O/S not found message."

Do you have an XP install CD?

Louis

Yup I have the XP install disk

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Just proceed to install XP. You will be offered format options. Since the drive is larger than 32GB, you will only be able to choose to format in NTFS, but you will be able to choose to create a partition less than the full drive size if you wish to have a system partition and a separate data partition.

Do you already have drivers for all the components of the system?

Edited by Platypus, 01 May 2009 - 07:15 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Just proceed to install XP. You will be offered format options. Since the drive is larger than 32GB, you will only be able to choose to format in NTFS, but you will be able to choose to create a partition less than the full drive size if you wish to have a system partition and a separate data partition.

Do you already have drivers for all the components of the system?

Thats sounds confusing. What do you mean do I have drivers for all the components? Iv found a few guides even an offical one from MS, do I just use that or is thier another online guide I should use?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#7 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

Thanks alot, now that I remember someone else had also suggested eldergeek.com.

EDIT: Also I dont understand the whole 32gb thing, wont I be able to use the 120gb as a regular C drive?

Edited by wildcat2000, 02 May 2009 - 01:25 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:20 AM

Thats sounds confusing. What do you mean do I have drivers for all the components?

XP has its own drivers for many hardware components, but may not have one for every component in every system. If, for example, it has no driver to suit your network adapter, the computer may have no internet access, so it's best to be prepared with the appropriate drivers on a CD or flash drive. Was there a driver CD supplied originally with the computer? Alternatively, if we can know what brand of computer it is, or what components it uses, we can direct you to suitable drivers to have on hand.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

I dont understand the whole 32gb thing, wont I be able to use the 120gb as a regular C drive?

Yes, if you choose the option it offers to format the entire drive, it will be a single C: drive. Because it's larger than 32GB, there will only be the option to format using the NTFS filesystem. That's a good thing, and simplifies your choices.

#10 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:37 PM

Thats sounds confusing. What do you mean do I have drivers for all the components?

XP has its own drivers for many hardware components, but may not have one for every component in every system. If, for example, it has no driver to suit your network adapter, the computer may have no internet access, so it's best to be prepared with the appropriate drivers on a CD or flash drive. Was there a driver CD supplied originally with the computer? Alternatively, if we can know what brand of computer it is, or what components it uses, we can direct you to suitable drivers to have on hand.

Its a Gateway laptop(bought in 2006). I dont have or use any other add-on hardware (except a usb mouse). I might have a driver CD, I dont remember, Id have to look again. Its wireless. My DSL box is another room and I use my laptop from my own room. Once I get windows installed all I have to do is get my internet re-installed right? Or am I about to run into some sort of trouble here?

EDIT: Just checked, it didnt come with driver CDs. Unless you mean the internet installation discs which were supplied by my internet provider, but they sent a tech to our house and installed it for us which is what I was gone have done again. We have those somewhere but I dont know how to install the internet.

Edited by wildcat2000, 02 May 2009 - 11:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users