Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Laptop Dual Monitor Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barnaclebill

barnaclebill

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hello,

I just hooked up a 19 inch widescreen Acer LCD monitor to my Lenovo 3000 C laptop with XP Pro and a standard 15 inch screen. I have a couple of questions I would like to ask.

It is nice to have that extra foot and a half of desktop but at times I would like to have both screens showing the same program. The reason for this is so I can watch a movie on the big screen if the movie has it's own program to run it.

If I put a DVD in, it plays on the small screen and I can't drag it to the big screen.

I tried to set monitor 2 to be the primary monitor but it will not let me.

It also had a warning that if the controls were over written there could be damage to the monitor or computer.

I would like to know what my options are.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

If you have the option of "clone view" in your display properties settings tab use that. It will display the same image on both screens and allow you to use both at the same time with the same display on both.

What is the graphics adapter in your PC, it may or may not support all viewing options. You may also have a function key to switch viewing modes (Fn key is usually blue and holding it and pressing one of the F keys, usually F4 or F5 on most laptops will switch the display automatically and may unlock more viewing modes.)

#3 barnaclebill

barnaclebill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

I found if I right click on the display boxes 1 or 2 in the settings of the display properties, it gives me the option to make either one the primary display.

I made 2 the primary display and after restarting I had clone monitors, I put the DVD in and this time when I clicked play it opened my media player and of course the movie wouldn't play.

The function key plus F7 switched the displays back and forth.

The computer has 2 Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family Display adapters. I have no idea what that means, I am new to this stuff.

I am learning a little more about it the more I play with it but I think the problem has something to do with this being a laptop.

After changing the settings back to extended desktop, I tried the DVD again and now it opens the media player when it didn't do that before and wont play.

I only have this one movie DVD so I can't try a different one now. By the way, this movie has a Sony program to play it.

#4 barnaclebill

barnaclebill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

After playing with it some more I got the movie to play using WMP, and I can put it on either monitor, all is good now, thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users