Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formula1 in Indianapolis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lovenick

lovenick

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

Last weekend, only 6 cars took part in the GP of Indianapolis. I know most of you are from the USA, and maybe someone was there...
I've also heard that Formula1 in USA isn't as popular as in Europe, for example. So I would like to know what do you think about last sunday "grand prix".
;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

what happen was Michelin tires were ranked unsafe because of a safety issue on the last turn. So only 6 cars had Bridgestone tires (after 14 had to quit due to the tire problem). 14 cars were ranked as "unsafe" and could not race because of the tires.

Full story on only 6 cars racing

Edited by frankie12, 24 June 2005 - 10:43 AM.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Umm..no. It was shown that a particular brand of tire could not handle the stresses of a particularly high speed corner. The drivers of those cars lobbied for a chicane to slow all of the cars, and thus make it safe, or to allow different tires to be shipped in. The rules are such that only one type of tire can be shipped in for an event, and there are no replacements allowed.

F1 would not make the concessions because there were other teams who were not having problems with their tires, and it would not be fair to penalize the other teams that brought the proper equipment. Racing is always a matter of bringing the right equipment to the track, and those racing a particular brand of tires had simply not brought the correct equipment.

They could have still raced if they wanted to, however they would not have been competative. The team owners decided to boycott the race because they didn't get their way. No tires were banned, nor were any teams.

#4 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

Yep, Groovicus is correct. And it was 17 cars that did not race. I live in Indianapolis and therefore I see and hear all about it on the local TV News. Very disappointing race. I'm really not into F1, yes the cars are probably the fastest cars on the planet (cept for drag cars) but to watch an F1 race to me is boring. I like side by side racing and paint swapping and 2 cars slamming eachother as they both go for the checkered flag. I like NASCAR! Real Racing! And of course Drag Racing.
As for what I think about the US Grand Prix last sunday....... Totally Michelins fault! Fans should get free tickets to next years race(if there is one) and Michelin should be the ones paying for it. I'm pretty sure that Michelin was aware of the tire issue prior to qualifying and could have gotten some better ones there in time to qualify the cars and thus not break any rules. Once the cars had qualified then there was nothing F1 could do, you can't change the rules. So all of this made an already boring race even more boring. JMHO :thumbsup:

#5 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

I do think that it is michelins fault for having 17 not being able to race. I agree withchevyusa1 in saying that michelin should have gotten the word out sooner to the drivers so that they could get new tires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users