Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

East Tec erasor 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alperez

alperez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

I just installed the new Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta software and it alerted me that East Tec was trying to run silent.exe. When i originally bought the program i recall some discussion about accusations east tec has spyware in its system but i can't find anything in my searches.

Any idea what this silence.exe does when launched by east tec? I'm I getting paranoid?

Help

Thnaks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

SILENT.EXE is a required file for East-Tec Eraser to run, without it the program won't work. However, I can't confirm whether or not it's spyware. My advice is to remove the whole Eraser program and use instead this free one which is also called Eraser only it's more powerful and has been voted the No. 1 erasing tool.
It definitely contains no spyware and it's free. http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

According to our Startup Database:

silent.exe&matcli.exe - "matcli.exe is a motive Assistant Command line interface that gathers information about your system's identity like your name email address, city, state, etc and gets written to a log file while silent.exe executes matcli.exe quietly in the background. Compaq Knowledge Center is required to run with the Help and Support program. If you uncheck Compaq Knowledge Center and and then run help and Support it will add another Compaq Knowledge Center in the startup menu. If you remove the Compaq Knowledge Center in the add/remove program some help menus in help and support will not be available like Fix my Presario, Preference, and Contact Technical Support". You decide

More info:
silent.exe

I agree with pip22, about Eraser.
Good program.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users