Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can only connect to network in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buddyclm

buddyclm

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

I have a Dell laptop running XP that has a wireless card built in. The computer will search for available wireless networks and see them. When I tell it to connect after several minutes it will say it is connected with limited to no connectivity. If I plug in a cat5 cable into the laptop and into the router, and go into the admin on the router, it is asigning an IP number to the laptop, however, I can't get on the internet. When I open internet explorer it says I am not connected. There is no encryption turned on and no firewalls. But if I go into safe mode with networking, I can connect to the internet just fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't get on the internet under a normal boot? I have tried this with the same results on a Linksys and Netgear routers. Thanks.

Chris (buddyclm)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steeldogs

Steeldogs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

What is managing your wireless? Is it Windows or another like Intel? Could possibly be they both in normal are trying to control the wireless.

Can you try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and see if this corrects the issue.
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President

-----

ASUS Rampage Formula, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, Dual Seagate 1.5TB, XFX HD-487A-ZDDC Radeon 1GB 256-bit GDDR5, ASUS 22X DVD Burner SATA, HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit, G.SKILL 4GB PC2 6400, Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W PSU

#3 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

Windows is managing the NIC card, but the routers are handling the DHCP. I also set the wireless card up for a static IP # within the scope range and that didn't change anything either

#4 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

I did the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew. on the renew it said it can't find dhcp server

#5 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

by going into safe mode you essentially bypass loading most device drivers as well as programs that normally run on startup.....i would start looking here.....go ahead and reinstall the latest nic drivers (if you haven't already) and see what is running at startup just to be sure (msconfig)
Posted Image

#6 RigPig

RigPig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem. I tried disabling everything from MSCONFIG and load up drivers one by one but this didn't work. I'm about ready to do format C and start with a fresh install it's getting that bad.

#7 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Have you ran a total virus scan? It could be blocking something when you are in windows. The infection may not run when in safemode.

Try - Malwarebytes to scan!
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

I am assuming that you changed it from being static IP? Are you getting limited connectivity when you are inside the same room as your router? You are picking your network and not a neighbors? Can you connect with the Cat5 plugged in and not in safe mode?

If the last question is no....then sounds to me like you have something blocking you. I'd have a look at this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ and see if you can clean the problem and get connected.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users