Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop automatically comes out of Standby while the lid is closed!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

Craziest thing. I have a laptop. I close the lid on the bugger, it goes into standby (for sure... I know this much.. lol)

Just about the same time every morning, I head it turn on. The screen is still blank but stuff is running. OR I will go to work with MSN Messenger running and will get a pop up saying You are signed into two places at once, meaning it has come out of standby automatically. Any idea what could cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

The standby/hibernate switch is a small pin switch by the hinge
Depending on the model of the laptop, there are a few different "wake on" options in the BIOS that are normally set to disabled
A corrupt video driver can also play tricks with standby/hibernate
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

I will have to check those.

Also, my screen will go blank after the set amount of time set in the "screen saver" power properties. If the laptop is on all day, it will go blank for about half a second after the time set in the screen saver power properties and then come back on instead of turning off. Would that give any indication of what the trouble may be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users